Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Our "first" child

Since bringing N home, Zoee has been super attentive to his needs. Since she's our "first" child by five years, we're trying very hard to not neglect her, despite the demands of parenthood. I think she realizes this, so she tries very hard to be patient with us and to help us out. One way of helping is to make sure everything is good with the little man.

For example - all tummy time is carefully supervised by Zoee. If any unexpected noises occur, she's quick to jump up and inform me of the little guy's need for attention. Notice below - she's watching me instead of him. This is because I got too close without announcing myself. Zoee had to make sure I was allowed near the little man.
She also offers suggestions about breastfeeding. I don't put much stock in her breastfeeding advice given she's got no experience. Plus, well, she's a dog. I pretend to listen though, because she's really trying to help. Good dog.

Also, remember how we read to N before we put him to bed? One of his books is called Bad Dog, Marley by John Grogan. It's the same guy who wrote Marley and Me. Anyway, there is a section of the book where all the characters say, "Bad dog Marley!" over and over again. Every time we get to that part, Zoee comes slinking in the room with big sad eyes, as if to say "I was just sleeping - what the heck did I do?". We've modified the passage to read "No Marley!". N can't read right now anyway and it saves our helpful puppy a lot of grief. Good dog Zoee!

3 comments:

The Blevins' said...

So so cute. I love these posts about Zoee and N!! People always say things will change with your dogs when you have kids...I appreciate that you are still so attentive to your "first child." So cute.

Karen Gutierrez said...

Congratulations to A & E! So happy to see your family. Denver misses you though....

Karen

Lauren & Phil said...

That is the most adorable thing ever. What a good dog. And I am glad to hear that our little Cooper has hope that we will not completely abandon him when we someday have a baby of our own!