Sunday, June 29, 2008

Showers and flowers and toddlers, oh my!


This has been one thrilling weekend in The Wall. (I'm trying it out, calling Rockwall "The Wall" to see how it goes. Maybe it will catch on. Someone had to be the first one to call Dallas "The Big D".) Anyway, we had friends staying with us with their ball-of-fire toddler who was a little less than a lump of coal the first night due to a terrible ear infection. Fortunately he regained his strength (and energy) and managed to entertain us and our big dog with his antics for the majority of the weekend. It was great to see them again, and despite the minor illness setback, everyone seems well and happy. Baby number two, who is four weeks from being a healthy little girl, said hello to me through Morse code disguised as hiccups. I'm not sure her mom suspected a thing.

In addition to our house guests, our friends from across the world have moved back to the states! Yay for having the D family back home safely. They too are expecting a little one, so all of the ladies threw a shower for them (her) at another friend's home. For a few fleeting hours it felt just like old times again. However, we did realize when discussing car seats and potty training that we'd come a long way from finals and dorm life. It was fantastic to see everyone again. Can't wait to meet the kiddos.

Aside from that, I'm pooped. It was a big weekend. My couch is calling my name for a nap. I'll have pictures soon. To tide you over, be impressed with my horticultural prowess in growing this Knockout Rose. That's its name, though it is an apt description of its beauty as well. As this thing looked like a stick when I planted it, I couldn't be more pleased.

2 comments:

Lauren & Phil said...

Aren't Knockout roses the best? We planted 5 small bushes last March and this year we have 5 HUGE bushes and as long as they get water, they bloom plentifully and beautifully almost year round. This year has been a tougher year for them since we haven't gotten rain in MONTHS and are now in stage 1 water restrictions, but I am trying to give them the love (and more importantly water) that they deserve so they continue to bloom!

Sarah, Blake, Evan, Julia said...

Thank you for your kindness in how you portrayed your weekend with friends who were not the best houseguests. Let me say it is a challenge traveling with a toddler (not to mention parenting one!) Thanks again for everything and I'm so glad your back in Texas, be it The Wall or whatever you call it :-))