Thursday, June 5, 2008

Forty-two... Of what?

Every day at work there is a group of people who play a very popular dominoes game called "Forty-two" at lunch. With players of forty-two, this is an event. Nay, this is the highlight of the day. Forget whatever else needed to happen in cube-land, all that really matters is that so-and-so played a five-two the last round and it walked even though the four-six was still out. This is the highlight of the day for many. I am one of those many.

I started playing forty-two with my family a few years ago. My brother and his wife had become hooked on it, and it's been going back for generations. My great-grandfather was perhaps the best forty-two player of all time. So when I was invited to play in the foursome at lunch, I was all over it. It's been some pretty exciting lunches lately, I'll tell you.

Forty-two players are much more animated than the Bridge players. It's like the difference in the Blackjack tables and the Craps tables in Vegas. Blackjack = all business. Craps = who the heck cares what's going on? I'm getting to jump up and down!

I'm excited to be a part of the jumpers. Except now I'm known at work as one of those loud people in the break room at lunch. I guess I'll have to go with that.

2 comments:

kathleen said...

Hey - I am tagging you. The questions are on my latest post ... the idea is to answer them and then tag 5 more people. Yay, blogging.

Cheri (aka "The Mom Lady") said...

I'm a friend of kpapa's mom - we were in Trinidad and England together. And kpapa and my Tim graduated ISPS ("affectionately" referred to as Is Piss by most) in the same (small) class in 1999. Saw you were "tagged" and checked out the different blogs.

Welcome to Texas - I feel the same way about it having traversed the globe for over 20 years in my almost 32 years of marriage. It's just HOME. All three of our children ended up in Texas as well and went to Texas universities so we feel totally blessed!

When I met my huz, I never heard of 42 but you can't be a Drennon and NOT play 42 so learn it I did - and I'm so glad I did. Mike is a bit too competitive for my taste but other than that, I love the social nature of the game - you can actually VISIT and play at the same time (unlike most games).

Just had to put my two bits worth in!