Thursday, May 1, 2008

Under the influence

Because of the vast number of locations of our friends and families, we have decided to start a blog. (This is under the influence of many of our friends who are doing the same.) I can't promise it will be updated every single day, but we'll do our best.

After years of life in Colorado, I find myself back in Texas. This may be a shock to many, but I did this because I wanted to. I loved life in Colorado. Amazing friends, fantastic weather, a job I loved, and a place that felt friendly and safe. I miss my Colorado life - full of friends who I can count on, mountains to climb, happy hours after work at our favorite local bar, clear crisp spring mornings full of promise... Despite all this, Colorado was never quite home.

To many who don't know it the way I do, Texas is backwards and slow. It is home to loud politicians, warmongers, and rednecks. Texas is to many people hot, humid, and without charm. This is not my Texas.

Texas to me is family reunions playing washers at my grandparents. Home of big wide skies, sunny days on the lake, blinding thunderstorms on humid summer nights, Mexican food and lazy Saturday mornings eating breakfast burritos. It is quaint hill country towns and lunch at the Grist Mill. It is tubing the Guadalupe with friends on a clear hot summer day. It is soccer tournaments and waterskiing and family family family. Texas is everything I love the most about being alive. This is my Texas.

Welcome home.

2 comments:

Lauren & Phil said...

I love your blog! I read it from front to back (i.e. newest posts to oldest post, which is why I comment here) and am so glad to hear you're back in Texas! And your house is gorgeous, at least from the outside photo that you posted. Congratulations on being a home owner (I know I'm a bit late, but better late than never, right?). Let us know when you're in the hill country and we should definitely plan to go tubing this summer!!

Ria said...

AMANDA!!!! so glad to finally 'see' you again!!!