Thursday, December 4, 2008

Internet, I've missed you so

Today is a monumental day for us - the internet is restored! We went away for the weekend, and when we returned... No service. Router = working, but internet = gone. I had no idea what a serious problem this would be for me until I decided to pay the electric bill. But how? With a stamp? I don't think so.

After two days of attempting to foil whatever internet gnomes had taken our beloved service away from us, E broke down and called the service provider. There are few times I hear him get so riled up as when talking to a service person. "What do you mean did I try restarting my computer?" I'm no better, so I am eternally grateful that he does this duty and saves me the trouble of talking to someone I don't know about exactly how I reset the cable modem.

Today E even left work two hours early to come and meet the cable repair guy. After two hours on the phone Tuesday night they came to the conclusion that the hardware they provided us was faulty. Of course, E had already reached that conclusion before he made the call, but I digress. The internet repair man came and repaired the cables leading into our house, which it seems were destroyed by a mongoose (or never installed correctly in the first place), and he replaced our cable modem, which now functions as an expensive doorstop at the cable company.

Hooray for the internet! Bills = paid. Email = read (and attempted to be returned, though I'm terrible at it). Blog = updated. All excellent for a Thursday. Now if only it weren't going to be so cold for our golf game tomorrow afternoon... Could the internet repair man fix that too?

No comments: