Wednesday, December 17, 2008

A thing I am particularly bad at

On a Sunday drive:
E: Has your car always made that noise?
A: What noise?
E: That high pitched squealing noise.
A: Er, I don't think so.
E: You don't think so, or you're sure.
A: Uh, yes.

Today:
After work I walked out to the car and started it up. The high pitched noise was still there. Before we all freak out, I had planned on taking it in on Friday to get it fixed, whatever it was. That was, until, instead of the high pitched noise I hear a loud pop and then a bunch of clunking. Then the noise was gone. The battery light came on, but otherwise, everything seemed to be running okay. I figured as long as I could get home, I could bring the car in to the dealership tomorrow. As I backed out of the parking space, I quickly realized that cars are much easier to drive when they have power steering, as mine didn't any longer. Oh well, I think. People drove for years without power steering. Surely I can drive home. That is, until about a mile from work when the radio shut off. Weird, but doesn't prevent driving. Until the lights started to dim. Then the speedometer quit working. Then, worst of all, the gas quit. I was the ridiculous person on the road whose car won't work, but apparently because all electrical stuff wasn't working I couldn't even turn on my hazards. I coasted onto a side street, sort of, and sat for a second weighing my options, which were few. I looked up the police non-emergency number on my phone and called them, because, well, I needed assistance. The police came and blocked the road so I wouldn't be crashed into by crazy frustrated commuters, and they also called a tow truck for me. The tow truck came and loaded up the Jeep and drove both me and it all the way to Rockwall where we left the Jeep at the dealership (for a fee).

Firsts for me: Calling the police to block traffic. Getting a car towed. Riding in a tow truck.

Lessons learned: Listen to E when he says to take the car in on Tuesday and not wait until Friday because that noise might actually be something serious and not something that can wait.

At least I learned a lesson.

3 comments:

Sarah, Blake, Evan, Julia said...

Okay, I'm laughing but realizing that totally could happen to me. I'm the same way about car noises ;-)Glad you're okay.

Meve & Co. said...

I'm glad you're ok too. How's the car?

Mrs. Robinson said...

Glad you're okay. That's not a fun place to be...on the side of the road without a working vehicle. I'm having sympathy pains for you.