Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Cubicle confusion


In an effort to be more seasonal at work, people have taken to putting up holiday decorations. Someone at work has a decoration for all of the different holidays that happen around this time, but to my knowledge, no one has decorations for all of them. This can apparently lead to some confusion by coworkers who aren't familiar with the holiday season in the states. Because everyone I work with has lived here for plenty of years, the only conclusion I can draw is that they have not been paying attention for any amount of time in their lives or they are just complete idiots.

Coworker (leaning on my cube wall): "I see D has put up lights and a tree."
Me (not looking up from my keyboard): "Yep, very festive."
Coworker (very serious): "I guess she celebrates Christmas and Kwanzaa."
Me (looking up): "Oh, that's interesting."
Coworker (gesturing to lights): "Well I can only get that from the lights - they're very colorful."
Me (with a furrowed brow, thinking he is surely joking): "Don't people just have colorful lights for Christmas sometimes?"
Coworker (with the air of someone who clearly knows more than you do): "I'm pretty sure the colors mean that she's celebrating Kwanzaa too. There are red and yellow and everything."
Me (sarcastically): "What about Hanukkah? I see some blue ones too."
Coworker (inquisitively, making motions to D's cube): "I guess maybe. We should ask."

Is he kidding? I can only hope so. Happy holidays people, whatever they might be to you. Or you can be like D, and apparently celebrate all of them.

1 comment:

Anna said...

You must tell me who said that. That is truly an out-of-touch yet creative comment!