Friday, December 19, 2008

A Rube Goldberg mess

This little thing is a Jeep Liberty water pump and gasket. Apparently, this is the source of my inability to drive, the terrible noise E first heard, and all car problems to date. What happened, seemingly, is that this device, which keeps the engine from overheating (I've learned - why don't they call it a coolant pump?) stopped functioning in my Jeep. When this happened, a pulley seized up, which caused the belt turning on the pulley to spin and wear out (the high pitched whirring and the loud thunking). When the belt wore out, the pretty much all electrical in the Jeep stopped working, killing the battery in the process. This all rendered the car non-functional. Who would have thought such a small thing would cause such a huge mess? Like when an animal sneezes in the Serengeti, we never can be sure what repercussions our actions will have - including you, Jeep Liberty water pump.

The good news? The nice man at Rockwall Jeep/Dodge/Crystler was able to not only diagnose all of these problems in the early morning, but he was also able to repair them in a single day! Not only that, but he flushed the coolant and changed the oil while he was at it. I can't tell you how impressed I was with the customer service. Not only can you tell me exactly what the problem was but you can also have it to me by 4 pm? Fabulous! The fee? Not so fabulous, but hey, water pumps don't come cheap.

Thanks to all for your concern. I promise to listen to E next time about the noise. Oh, and if I hear a noise and lose power steering in the parking lot, I promise to call someone for a ride. No more driving home. That clearly doesn't work.

1 comment:

Meve & Co. said...

Glad all is ok! I'm hoping to see another post today!