Sunday, December 7, 2008

Equatorial expansion...

There are things that change when you're pregnant. Lots of things. This is only natural. I can't expect to carry a baby to term and at the same time retain the same figure I've had for as long as I can remember. Case in point - the holiday party we attended on Saturday night. This event, which is held every year by the company we both work for, is a semi-formal affair filled with adults dressing either as if they were going to a cocktail party (the majority), as if they were going to prom (a minority), or as if they were going to a regular day at work (for shame). I typically try to avoid looking as if I were ready for prom and aim for the cocktail dress. I have a number of beautiful ones, and the one I wore to last year's holiday party seemed perfect. After all, we've moved states - we won't see anyone from last year. This dress is empire waisted - surely the small amount my stomach has grown will look like nothing. Right?

Er, maybe, if I didn't know what the dress looked like last year. I'll be the first to admit that my selfish desire to look fantastic in this dress makes me feel like a terrible mom-to-be. However, when I put on the dress and realized that I no longer can look directly at all of my feet, I turned into a self-conscious mess. I think when I look more like I'm expecting a child and less like I've just let myself go I'll feel a lot better about the whole thing. Right now it just looks like I have a new and fantastic appreciation for pie. And cake. And Blue Bell. And pretty much all Mexican food, especially those smothered with cheese.

E, who loves me very much and grows more excited about our child with every single centimeter of growth in my mid-section, tried to reassure, but let's face it, there was no denying that things had changed. I tried to take solace in knowing that at 17 weeks of pregnancy I can't fully expect to look the way I did before. And hey, those pregnancy pants are starting to look mighty comfy. This big belly thing might have it's perks after all. That, and I get a baby when it's all finished. You can't argue with a baby. They're too dang cute.

2 comments:

The Blevins' said...

Good story. Although, I am certain you are just as lovely as you were pre-pregnancy...you know what they say about the glow.

Meve & Co. said...

Yes, the glow should be coming! And maybe the nice shiny hair that doesn't fall out until after the baby comes!