Thursday, September 8, 2011

Bedtime stories

N has about a billion books.  Okay, maybe not that many, but certainly a lot.  Enough that we don't have to read the same story every night, or even the same story in the same week...  Every night we read two different books to N, and it is very possible we could go an entire month without reading the same one twice.

That said, this is the conversation we have every night after his pjs are on and we're prepping for storytime:
---
Me: Whatcha wanna read tonight buddy?

N: The dino book.

Me: What about this book?

N: shakes head furiously  No, the dino book.  Not that dino book.  The other dino book.  How do dinos eat their food.

Me: sigh  Okay.  What other book?  Ferdinad?  This book about the guy with all the spots?

N: looking at me like I'm crazy  No.  I want the animal book with the zoo.

Me: You're sure you don't want Ferdinand?  Holding up "The Story of Ferdinand".

N: Sheer panic  No no no no nononono.  Looks me straight in the eyes so he's sure I'm hearing and understanding him.  The ANIMAL BOOK.

Me: Okay okay, the animal book.  Proceed to read both books without looking at any pages because I've memorized every word at this point.

N: I love this book.
--
This conversation happens nightly, but there are probably five books on the rotation:
Replace "Me" with "E" above, and pick any two of the above books and you've got our nightly routine with N.  If anyone needs any toddler books besides those list above, we have a ton.  I'm partial to "I Love You Stinky Face", even if N isn't.

2 comments:

Meve & Co. said...

Pokey Little Puppy is actually one of my faves from childhood, but when I bought it for the kids and read it, I thought..."Why did I like this book?" But, I did...I LOVED it!=) So sweet that N has his faves.=)

AJ said...

Wild About Books is probably my number one fave that we have, and I have a LOT of favorites!