Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering

Ten years ago today, I was a junior in college working towards my engineering degree.  My husband and I were just starting to flirt/date/whatever, my family was (and still is) wonderful and the support system of friends at school was phenomenal.  In my little private university world, my biggest concern was getting my engineering design homework done in time to go out on the weekend and figuring out if I would run before or after visiting Mabee hall.

My worldview, along with the worldview of every American, changed on this day ten years ago.  Our country suffered a terrible attack on our way of life, and everyone was forever changed by it.  There are certain moments that are defining in a person's life.  I remember people talking about how they would never forget where they were or exactly what they were doing when President Kennedy was assassinated.  I never really understood it, until September 11, 2001.  I will never forget that moment, standing half-dressed after a morning run in my dorm room in McLean hall getting ready to meet E for breakfast before class.  I was watching the today show, and remember wondering what movie they were talking about how the special effects were phenomenal.  After I realized that it really was happening, I hurried down to E's room, where we watched in horror as a second plane hit the second tower.  The entire campus, like the entire country, was paralyzed by the shock of it all.

Ten years later, I can promise you I will never forget that moment.  And ten years later, I still try to remember to be grateful for every moment I'm given.  I'm grateful for the country I live in, the freedoms I celebrate, and the faith I'm able to practice.  I appreciate more the fact that I am able to read what I want, marry who I want, and move freely through society.  Until that moment ten years ago, I very well took all of that for granted.

Prayers and remembrances for all we lost ten years ago, and one more prayer of thanks for the life I'm so privileged to get to live.

No comments: