Tuesday, August 30, 2011

A philosophical exercise

Yoga:
1: (capitalized) a Hindu theistic philosophy teaching the suppression of all activity of body, mind, and will in order that the self may realize its distinction from them and attain liberation
2: a system of exercises for attaining bodily or mental control and well-being
---
Before we had kids, I was a runner.  Not a marathoner or anything, but I ran.  Every day, like a religion, I tied up my running shoes and hit the pavement, treadmill, whatever.  After I ran, I would do sit ups and lift weights like my life depended on it.  I was in pretty good shape, but despite all this running, lifting, sitting up, I felt like there was something lacking.
 
These days I still find time to run occasionally, but not nearly as often as before kids.  But I've discovered something else.  A friend of mine teaches yoga and she invited me to a class.   (Check her out here:  http://mikoyoga.com/  She's amazing.) Before her classes my only exposure to yoga had been a semester-long class I took my senior year of college with a bunch of friends.  I was no yogi, by any means.
 
Since her class, I've been stronger, fitter, and more at peace than I have ever been.  Not only is yoga an exercise, it's this type of mental relief that I haven't found anywhere else.  I can't wait until our retreat in a few weeks.  The retreat is going to be awesome!
 
Plus getting these compliments on my arms isn't bad either.

No comments: