Monday, November 9, 2009

Things I never expected to do

Last week I had to head to DC for work. It was the first time I'd left N at home overnight without me. I was terrified. I think the whole thing was much more traumatic for me than for E or N. Or Zoee, for that matter. How could my little man really survive without me for a week? Seriously? He doesn't need me overnight?

E pointed out that he sleeps overnight. Really. For like 10-11 hours. (I know, we're super lucky.) I guess he really doesn't need me to sit around waiting for him to wake up, so really the worry was unmerited. He didn't forget me either and E had a good time with all the male bonding. It was good for all of us.

What I never expected to do was flash pictures of my child at random strangers. I was sitting at the Jet Rock cafe in terminal C of Washington Reagan airport when the woman next to me asked how my burger was. I told her it was tasty, and the next thing I knew she and I were commiserating over a beer about our children, breastfeeding on business travel, and how weird it is to be able to just sit and have a meal without any demands on you, even if it is in the airport terminal. By the time we finished our burgers I knew that her name was Pam, she had two kiddos, she worked construction, and she was from Pueblo, CO. She had seen six pictures of N, learned about my plans for breastfeeding, and knew that my husband was doing a great job with our kiddo.

It was a little weird, but at least it took my mind off the torturous hours until I could actually get home. And hey, if I ever make it to Pueblo I know I could look her up and get shown around.

2 comments:

Sarah, Blake, Evan, Julia said...

Girl - you are too funny. I love it. Motherhood sure has a bonding power doesn't it?? I'm glad you are back home with your little boy who is so lucky to be missed so much!

The Blevins' said...

It is amazing how motherhood does bond us. I was saying to someone today it's like joining a new club and getting a new badge...there is just a unique connection.