Monday, November 16, 2009

Can I get a witness?

911 operator: 911, what is your emergency?

Me: Um, I just witnessed a car accident. On Forest Lane near Garland High School.

911 operator: Were you in the accident, ma'am?

Me: Er, no. I just saw this one car change lanes into this other car. Do I need to go back? I left the scene.

911 operator: No ma'am. It would be helpful if you could tell me what happened though.

Me: Well, the tan car swerved into the black SUV. You're sure I don't have to go back or something? I don't really want to - I'm running late.

911 operator: No, really, you're fine. Just give me your name and telephone number so the insurance companies can contact you if necessary.

Me: Okay. Here they are. And really, I'm not going to get a ticket or something?

911 operator: You're sure you weren't actually IN the accident?

Me: Oh yes, I just saw the whole thing.

911 operator: You're fine. Really. Thanks for calling.

Me: Right. Uh, yeah. No problem.

2 comments:

The Falcones said...

You only have to go back if you are a medical provider...you are safe! = )

Lauren & Phil said...

That is so weird; I witnessed a traffic accident last week. A worker truck ran into a motorcycle... but it wasn't the truck's fault and since he was driving a company vehicle I didn't want him to get fired or something so I stayed and gave a statement when the police came, even though it made me late for work. Similarly we are good citizens. :)