Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Baby wagon - without racing stripes

For about the past nine months or so, E has been making noises about getting a newer, safer, bigger car for our baby. He really liked the idea of a minivan (or at least he made me believe that he did) and tried to sell me on it by promising something with racing stripes - as seen below.
I guess he felt that since Peyton Manning argued that racing stripes could make a minivan cool, it would be okay with it. I don't know why - don't ask me, I can't explain it - but I really didn't want a minivan. I've ridden in them. They're super comfortable. They're super practical. It made all the sense in the world. But something visceral in me rebelled against the whole notion. Even with racing stripes.

Lately, my Jeep has been making noises as if the transmission was going to give out at any moment. Given that I was driving around with a seven week old baby in 100 plus degree heat, it just really didn't make sense. It wasn't safe. What if the transmission actually gave out on 635 or something? I'd be trapped in the heat on a highway with a tiny baby. Not safe. We decided to make a preemptive strike and purchase our safer-better-newer car while the Jeep still possessed some trade-in value. After many hours of research and two exceptional test drives later, we're now happy owners or a Mazda CX-9. It's got all the great features of a minivan that E wanted - such as the third row of seats and comfy sitting arrangements. The only thing we're missing is sliding doors, but E figures that since I'm driving this one around, I ought to be happy. It's nice, and I'm pretty excited about it!
* This one isn't ours. I have no idea who those people are. Ours is sitting happily in the garage, waiting for me and N to take it out to see our friends E and co. + L later today. But this is a pretty good representation. Ours is black with tan leather interior - just like the one above.

2 comments:

Mrs. Robinson said...

OMG!! I feel the same way about Minivans. Thanks for showing me an alternative for the oh so distant future!! Either way, I love it.

The Blevins' said...

love it! We are getting a new car too...although not nearly as new and nice as yours. it was certainly hard deciding what to get. I might be a little jealous of your cute crossover. Way to go.