Monday, April 27, 2009

It only took five years...

About five years ago E and I took one of those big steps in a relationship. You know the ones... First date, first kiss, first anniversary, first time you pack up and move across the country together... You know, the big firsts. Anyway, the big first we experienced five years ago was our first puppy together. You know her - Zoee. At only seven and a half weeks old, she was ours for keeps. Anything that is right or wrong with her is completely our fault.

E and I come from very different dog families. In my family, dogs live in the house. They follow you around from room to room and sleep in the bed with you. They curl up on your feet and go on vacation with you. Pretty much like furry children with less talking back. In E's family, dogs live outside. They never come in the house and you don't share your food with them. You never ever think of letting a stinky dog on the couch. They're fun to play with outside, but they are not at all like furry children.

When we adopted Zoee, we had to come to a middle ground. Okay, we came to a ground much closer to what I grew up with, sans dogs on furniture and sharing people food. Sort of. I have to say I agree with the whole dogs on furniture thing. It's pretty nice not sitting in dog hair. But I can't resist her chocolately sad doggie eyes. I always share.

E doesn't share. He tries to get me to not share. I know people food isn't good for her. But dangit, a few strawberries won't kill her! What's the harm in a little bit of baked potato? This is how these things go.

Tonight E and I had steak and vegetables for dinner. Great for the baby. Great for me. So healthy! But as usual, I wasn't able to finish everything. I had a tiny bit of steak left - enough to be a substantial treat for Zoee, but not nearly enough for leftovers. I'm used to resisting her pleading eyes, so I just left it there, sitting on the plate, looking all steak-y and delicious. I was getting ready to toss it out (*gasp*) when E said, "Why not give it to Zoee? We don't want to waste perfectly good steak."

I almost fell off the couch. Both Zoee and I had a great time feeding/eating steak. Even E got into it. It only took five years, but I think we might have converted completely to my family's way of thinking regarding puppies. Well, except for the couch thing. I've been converted in that regard.

No comments: