Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rest in peace/Taking a mulligan

We've mentioned before how all the women in my family are very adept at skills such as growing things and making things. I've decided that I should join this group, and decided that this was the year I was going to grow my own tomatoes. What could be better than picking a fresh ripe tomato? No more produce bills for me!

So three weeks ago I purchased the plant you see above. I lovingly put him into the pot shown, and willed him to have a good life. His tag said he needed full sun, so I put him out in the yard near our oak tree, thinking he'd like it there. Surely I was doing everything right.

One week later we went to visit my grandparents, and over the weekend it froze not one, but both nights. This, apparently, was not to the liking of this plant, because when we got home he was shriveled and destroyed. There was no hope for him. He'd only been with me a week, and already he had died.

My mom visited me this weekend and assured me that this wasn't my fault - how was I to know it was supposed to randomly freeze? She took me out and helped me pick out a new tomato plant and a new pot for him, and we planted him yesterday. He looks pretty happy so far. I'm sure this time he'll make it. After all, my mom did touch him, which is pretty much all it takes for a plant to survive, as far as I can tell.

I'm excited about my fresh tomatoes. Along with my fresh limes. Maybe I'll make pico.

No comments: