Thursday, July 10, 2008

It really is a good life

The smoke filtering up through this tree is a result of 15 lbs of brisket smoking on a grill a few feet away from it. It's impossible to describe how incredible that much BBQ smells, but I'll let you imagine the mouthwatering aroma of meat so tender that it falls apart on the fork, corn slightly charred with smoke and covered with butter, and the reminder that when it's Independence day and my grandfather's Big Surprise 70th Birthday Party it is totally fine to have a large slice of pineapple upside down cake with homemade ice cream. (Trust me, I've barely scratched the surface of all the food that we were able to indulge in.)

The fourth of July in my family is always a party - where we gather at my grandparents for a weekend of dominoes, swimming dogs, and lots and lots of food and drink. This particular fourth was especially special, as my grandfather was turning 70 just a few days after. We planned, we conspired, we sneaked. And as a result instead of the typical 10 people at the party, we had nearly 26. It was incredible, and to top it off, I think he was really surprised. It was awesome.

Now, my grandparents have been married almost 50 years, and my grandma knows him pretty well. She managed to get some information on a gift he wanted and then go purchase it in town from the local dealer. When he opened it, he said, "Last time I was down there he said he already sold it!"

She said, "He had."

They're precious. And I can only hope that we have it so good someday. Every boat they've ever owned for as long as I can remember my grandpa has named after her. This one is no different.

Love you Ma and Pa. Thanks for the great weekend.

No comments: