Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Starbucks?

I have a special love for caffeine. I wish I didn't. But I cannot deny my deep, DEEP appreciation for caffeinated beverages. Coffee, soda (especially diet soda - complete with its terrible terrible chemicals), tea... It doesn't matter. I love these beverages from the bottom of my little overcaffeinated heart. However, this is becoming a problem. How did I realize this, you might ask? It was the moment when I realized that I had approximately $5.17 in cash, was in the drive-through line at Starbucks on the way to work, and was feeling particularly frugal and wanting to spend no more money than I had in cash. Oh, and I was starving. STARVING. I don't care that it was 6:14 am. I'd been up for over an hour and I was ready to break the fast. Regardless, I decided that I really wanted a nonfat caramel macchiato in as large a size as possible (venti). What's not to love about caramel and coffee and milk all mixed together in frothy goodness? I also really really want a butter crossoint. I know that a butter crossoint is not good for me. Well, it's full of butter and carbs and well, that's it really. No protien. No substance. Delicious, however, and the perfect compliment to a giant cup of steamy caramel-y coffee. I quickly realize the whatever money I have (which I promise is around $5.17 but I cannot be entirely exact on that amount) is not going to cover the largest coffee possible AND the crossoint I want to eat for breakfast. At this point, normal people may opt to choose a smaller size of coffee and/or use a plastic card to procure their wares. Me, however, I've set my mind to paying in cash. And I've also set my mind on this giant GIANT cup of coffee. (Please disregard the cup of coffee my Keurig made for me at approximately 5:17 am - it no longer counts.) I want this crossoint. WANT. STARVING. Stomach *growls*. I rationalize with myself that I cannot get coffee (*good coffee*) at work and I have things to eat at my desk (almonds, cans of soup, tuna fish). I abandon my breakfast plan so I can still get the giant coffee and pay in cash. To all my coworkers who suffered through the smell of smokehouse almonds at 6:45 am - I'm sorry. My caffeine needs overruled my desire for pastry. That is why I was eating aromatic (*stinky*) almonds at the crack of dawn. I hope you all can understand.

1 comment:

Sarah, Blake, Evan, Julia said...

So funny. I too love a good caramel macchiato. I see some Dave Ramsey coming into play here maybe? Certain things are still worth the extra cost and pointless calories...but are a little harder to fit into the budget nonetheless. You made me laugh and I hope you enjoyed every sip of your Starbucks!