Wednesday, March 2, 2011

How it flies

On Monday a friend returned a book to me - Milk Memos. When I went back to work after N was born, my sister-in-law sent me this book in the mail. It's all about nursing moms and how some hate it, some love it, and some are generally indifferent to nursing/pumping at work, and at the time I read it - a lifesaver to me for having to leave my little man to go back to work. I keenly remember the feeling of leaving him for the first time to go do work. That ache isn't something easily forgotten.

Now it's almost two years later and he's a walking talking dynamo with an adorable little brother. So much has changed in the past two years, but I'll never forget that feeling. My heart ached for her when she handed me the book back.

There are some things that you can't explain. The way you don't care that your kid with the flu just wiped snot all over your shirt and coughed into your face... The way a spilled cup of milk all over the kitchen counter (accidentally) is just all in a day's work... The way those little smiles and bright eyes make you feel like the greatest mom on the planet...

Yep, it's all worth it.

1 comment:

The Blevins' said...

must read this book. Will be ordering on amazon!! It is amazing how your perspective changes right! It was a bittersweet day when Eli said no to me when I tried to nurse him. He was 16 months, but I still wasn't ready...but apparently he was.