Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Defining moments

At work today...

Me: I'm documenting this particular thing, and I would like you to tell me if it will mean more to you like this or like that.

Other person: Er, well, that seems like a lot of work.

Me: Yes, I believe it will be, which is why I'd like you to tell me the format that would mean the most to you, as your team will be the people using it and I don't want to do something that would require a lot of rework.

Other person: Could you maybe just make some examples of each possible way it would be?  That'd be better than a definition.

Me: Staring blankly.

Other person: You know, just show the way things will be?

Me: Shakes head to clear glazed over look. Um, I suppose I could do that, but it would be hundreds upon hundreds of iterations.  I think it would be easier to just define what it is than to make up a bunch of examples.

Other person:  Sure, sure.  Could you also have some examples?

Me: Staring, mouth agape.  Right.  I'll see what I can do.

No comments: