Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Jet-setting

From time to time in anyone's business they've got to embark on something called the "business trip". This is an exciting time in any business-person's life, given that they get to do all the ridiculous things that you do on trips (like order room service for breakfast and eat expensive and silly meals) without having to incur any of the costs for these things. On business trips there is something called a "Per Diem", which translates roughly to "I'm pretty sure no reasonable person would spend this much eating in a single day, but hey, you're in a different city so order the steak AND the lobster - it's on us". It's all lovely, which is why I only felt a small twinge of guilt when ordering my $20 breakfast of cereal and fruit (With juice! Only $4 more!) at the hotel on Tuesday morning in DC.

There are downsides to business travel, however. These include not being able to see your family (mine being E and the dog), having to pack nice clothes in a suitcase and looking neatly pressed the next day, and having to take off your shoes in the airport in front of your coworkers. Or worse yet, be examined by airport security in front of said coworkers. It is imperative to wear your nicest socks on these business travel days, in order to avoid embarrassing missteps involving holes around toes.

Regardless, I took one of these illustrious trips this past Monday and returned on Tuesday. I jetted off to DC, where we have a number of friends who I would have liked to have seen, but because of the pace of the trip was able to only eat food in the hotel or airport and sit in a small office where I was the only woman present for six hours. In all I believe I was in DC for 18 hours, 6 of which were spent sleeping. This explains why I'm so pooped today, as my rest time was drastically reduced.

---

Another first on this trip - the first time a total stranger realized I was pregnant and attempted to touch the belly. She did, however, seem perfectly nice and did not end up touching me, so it was okay. I guess there's no hiding this guy now. We went to the doctor today and he's measuring great - one more visit in three weeks to check my glucose levels. I got an interesting looking orange drink to consume before the next visit. Supposed to taste like orange soda - we'll see.

1 comment:

Meve & Co. said...

as you drink it, just tell yourself "it's just like orange soda"...I didn't believe my own words, but maybe you will=)