Friday, June 17, 2011

Time travel

I love living near a lake.  Even though we don't get out on the lake much anymore, the mere presence of the lake makes me happy inside.  I drive two miles across the lake at least twice every work day.  This drive is over a bridge that is surrounded by nothing but water, just a little above the actual water level.

For a moment or two during the drive, I'm no longer 30, driving to or from my job and responsibilities, but instead I am 7.  I'm in a 1970's era green SeaRay and my dad has just told me to keep my tips up.  My brother and I have just learned how to waterski, and my family is spending as much time as possible on Lake Travis, every weekend if we can make it happen.  At least that's how I remember it.  After we finish skiing my dad will drive us around the lake in the boat and we might even have hamburgers at the floating resturant at the marina if we're lucky.

It's just a moment, but every day I'm reminded of it. And every day that little trip back in time reminds me to happy to be right where I am in the present.

I hope I leave my kiddos with a similar memory to hang onto.  Happy father's day Daddy!

No comments: