Monday, January 17, 2011

Embarrasing?

An exchange this week after I finish squatting in an office (currently unused) to pump breastmilk instead of hiking across the campus for the nursing mother's rooms...

---

Me: Exiting a currently unoccupied office carrying breastpump in thinly disguised bag supposed to make people think I'm carrying a shoulder bag but everyone knows better.

Senior technical engineer (male): What are you doing in there?

Me: Er...

Senior technical engineer (who I highly respect): That's not your office.

Me: Uh...

Senior techical engineer (who I aspire to be like): Looks at my "shoulder bag"

Me: Ah...

Senior technical engineer (now mortified): Nevermind, I get it. I get it. They ought to give all nursing mothers offices with doors. Looks at floor. Good work in that meeting earlier. I'vegottogobye.

Me: Oh...

---

There's something especially mortifying about pumping breastmilk at work. I know it's amazing for my baby and nature's perfect food and all that. Plus you get an automatic 10-15 minute break where you can try to relax and not think about work (ha). Not to mention it's a great diet - weight seems to fade away when you're feeding someone else. (My mom even called me "bony" the other day - and not in a good way!) Despite all of this, I find pumping at work to be one of the worst parts - nay, the absolute worst part - about being a nursing mom. B is reaching the 6 month mark, so we're starting to stop breastfeeding, and I know when the day comes that he eats only from a bottle I may tear up. My last baby, his last nursing, will likely make me cry, just a little. Regardless... Pumping is horrible. And the above example is just one reason.

I still can't believe my baby is almost 6 months old.

*Sigh*

Time is passing too quickly and too slowly all at once. Is that possible?

1 comment:

Lauren & Phil said...

At least your office has 'unused offices' in which you can pump. I am fairly sure I will tie up one of our few bathrooms for that 10-15 minutes, at the annoyance (not at first of course, but in time) of my fellow employees who need to use the facilities. I can't wait.