Thursday, October 16, 2008

The new guy

One of my more recent duties at work was to show "the new guy" around the office. The new guy is straight out of college and is energetic and enthusiastic about things that I can't muster the energy to be excited about anymore. I head down and meet him in his temporary holding pen (where he's been patiently waiting on us for the past two months) and walk him up to the area where we do "actual" work. I say "actual" because that's how he said it - with finger quotes and everything. It was pretty amusing.

The new guy is super pumped to find out where his cubicle is. He's very very excited about his chair and signing up for logins on the computer system. He can't stop raving about the break room. "You get to watch CNN on your breaks? That's AWESOME!" He has a billion questions. He's THRILLED to be involved in this project and can't wait to get started. He's especially excited that we leave early on Fridays. (Okay, I'm still excited about that one too.)

Something about showing this new guy around today made me wonder if I'd lost my gusto. Maybe I'm jaded by all the paper-pushing and cube-sitting and keyboard-typing. I think maybe I had too many meetings today. Regardless, tomorrow I'm going to try to be more excited about my chair.

No comments: