Monday, August 18, 2008

That ain't a fire ant

This past weekend I ventured down to Houston for some good-natured party-time at my sister's bachelorette shin-dig. I was planning on recounting all of the fun we had celebrating in Houston this weekend, which included a shower, some ridiculous hat, shopping, massages, dinner, and drinks. But when I got home my husband had a different story, I believe you'll be glad I shared.

While I was away for the weekend, E went up to see his parents. Usually when I am there, visiting the padres involves his mom and me hanging out in the house while E and his dad tromp around in the mud, dirt, and brambles with the dog. Apparently the only difference when I can't come is that no one is there to hang out with his mom. The boys? In the dirt. E, his dad, plus one more... This guy:This, my friends, is a striped bark scorpion (Centruoides vittatus). It is one of the many varieties of things in Texas that try to sting, bite, or otherwise poison you. E met it in a most unfortunate way. As told by him:

"Well, I was down in the fish pond filter hole and we were finishing up putting the filter in place. As I was getting out and walking back to the house, I realized I had a fire ant in my pants. I swatted it and this only successfully upset the monster. He stung me again, this time, much higher up the leg. Plus, the burning... A lot more intense. At this point I ripped my boots off because my jeans wouldn't go over them, then proceeded to unceremoniously shuck down to socks, shorts, and a t-shirt. After turning my jeans inside out I found the little guy. While he was mad, I was madder, and he quickly met his end."

When he finally decided he was free of all potential poison-ers and had reapplied his pants, he went inside. He told his mom about this whole incident and she had apparently missed the entire show. E dancing in his underpants on the back patio? Yeah, she didn't see that whole thing. Fortunately, his dad did. Someone has to be able to tell this story at future family gatherings.

From where I sit, it sounds pretty hilarious. (Now that I know he's fine, of course.)

1 comment:

The Blevins' said...

oh that hurts so bad. I got stung by a scorpion about 1 year ago...worst pain of my life, no lie!! Just glad it wasn't in my pants. You are a bigger man than I, Erich!